Thursday, July 26, 2012

Bored Out Of My Mind

So, I am bored silly. I've been out of school for 31 days and I do not know what to do with myself. Sure, there are a lot of things I could do, but nothing I want to do or have to do. Sure, I complain about school a lot as demonstrated here , here, and here. Oh, and here and here too. But to be honest I can hardly wait to have a schedule again. And if that means school starting then fine, let it start.
I did take summer classes for the first session but couldn't afford the second so here I am. Oh, let me tell you about my summer classes. I took Literary Interpretation (L202) and Education and American Culture (H340). In L202 we read stories of ....drum roll please...women as victims!! And in H340 we learned about...drum roll again please...How to not be a racist!!
Come on...when are we going to get away from all this social propaganda and get back to academics?
"But Alice, we have to teach our students values." Really? Values? Let's see...where do values come from? From a society that decides something is "inappropriate"? How do we decide that? I'll tell you how (since I am the girl behind the curtain)...it comes from God. We are born with a sense of right and wrong and it didn't come from nothing. So, if schools are so interested in teaching values tell me then...why did my L202 professor, Jackie Collins, tell our class not to take the Bible literally because when you do you get into all sorts of trouble? Why did my H340 professor ask me, after watching a movie about the history of racism in America, ask me if I was ashamed now to be white?? They aren't teaching values, they're teaching an agenda.
I digress.
So on Monday I took the girls to Chicago. Just the three of us. It was perfect. A groundhog day if you will. We headed to The Field Museum for the day. The girls were awesome in spite of the fact that we were not at the right museum to see the "sliced up body". Field was pretty much cultural stuff, lots of pottery, clothes, and weapons. We spent about 4 hours there and then decided to leave on a high note while the girls were still enjoying themselves. So we hopped into a taxi and headed for the American Girl store. As soon as we could see the Sears Tower on our drive in  Emily insisted she wanted to go to the top. When the taxi dropped us off at American Girl we were right in front of the Hancock Building. Emily looked up and decided she changed her mind about the Sears Tower.
Some favorites from the museum were stuffed seals and narwhals and walruses. Also the specimens in the DNA exhibit. And the Man-Eater:


                                                

No comments: