Friday, June 19, 2009

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. 1 Chronicles 16:34

OK, so yesterday was what can only be described as a horrendous day.

It started out harmless enough. The girls have been taking a little dance class with a friend of mine so they were there until about 2:30 when I went to get them. Up until that point I had been to the grocery store and running kind of late. I hurried home to put away the refrigerator stuff and thought how much fun it would be to surprise them with a trip to the pool. I also knew they would love it if I brought along their dear friend Kaitlyn, and Gracie's little friend Ella.

So, we get to the pool and for the first time I can remember I didn't go into the pool with them. It was going to be a quick swim because I had an eye doctor appt. at 4:30. Emily and Kaitlyn were fine on their own. And Grace could touch bottom in the shallow end and Ella had on a floatie vest that was keeping her afloat. So, I sat down on a chair not far from the edge of the pool and I'm not sure now how it happened but Grace and Ella had gotten to the deep end and Grace had had a little kick board floatie thing and before I knew it the board got away from Grace and she was keeping herself afloat by holding on to Ella. Well, that was causing them both to go under.

Now I have to tell you if you don't already know...I am a worrier. I have thought through every horrible thing that can happen to kids. I always say that then I know how to react because I have played through so many situations in my head. Well, guess what. What was supposed to happen didn't. I froze. I actually froze. Well, I didn't completely freeze. I screamed for this lady next to me in a bathing suit to please get them and when she froze I screamed for the lifeguard. Thank God, he didn't freeze. He jumped in and brought them to me at the edge.

I am filled with so many feeling right now. Here I was being trusted with the safety of someone else's kid and I froze in a moment of need. I'm ashamed and embarrassed. But I am also so thankful to God for bring those girls back to the edge of the pool.

P.S. Turns out I have an ulcer on my eye.

3 comments:

AnneW said...

Thank goodness for worthy life guards. Please don't blame yourself. This could have happened to anyone. You are not at fault in any way! Thankfully you were alert enough to see what was going on.

Keisha said...

Oh Alice!
Every mother's fear. Thank goodness everyone is fine, and we can be cautious in every way, but things still happen. Don't blame yourself, just thank God that they are fine:) Praying that you find peace with the situation!

jeri hoag said...

I agree with the Anne & Keisha... don't blame yourself. It really could happen to anyone and those kind of things happen in a split second. That's why they have lifeguards at pools. Thank God that you noticed when you did. :)