Friday, January 15, 2010

Well, I'm going back to school.

Again.
I believe this will be my 4th attempt. And my final attempt. This time I'm going to finish.
I'm 37...it's time.
The story is kinda cool. You can pretty much see God's hand smacking me in the noggin. Seriously.
Here it is: So, for over 6 years I basically worked 2 days each week at (thebestjobontheplanet) Pages In Time. I did occasionally pick up extra shifts when $$ was tight but other than that it was just plain old fun for me all those years. And it probably would have continued status quo for...well forever if it was up to me. But, alas, it was not meant to be. I was devastated. Read all about it from my October 3rd post.

Anyway, started receiving unemployment. And it happened to be a nice little sum every week. Well, I got a letter in the mail saying I had been specially selected to take part in this mandatory training informational workshop thing-a-ma-bobber. I was not happy. I was enjoying being at home in the peace and quiet. I don't want to go to workforce one! Blah!

So, I get there and they start talking about CDL training. Forklift training. Coal miner training. And then she said something about them even sending you back to school to obtain your degree. Wait. What? Free school? Okay, I'm down with that. SIDEBAR: when i found out i was going to be unemployed i was brainstorming ways to make some money and writing my own book was one of my better ideas. It was going to be called "Street Talk with Lamanjillo" hence the phrase used previously- I'm down with that.

So, I took a couple of tests, went to some more meetings and now have an appointment with an advisor at IUSB.
I want to be a teacher. I love kids. And they like me. Plus I love charts. And maps. And school desks. And dry erase boards. Okay, seriously, the thought of all those things just gave me butterflies in my stomach!! I can't wait!!!

And, if it doesn't work out, there's always my book!!

3 comments:

AnneW said...

You are my HERO! Just think of all the new urban words you will learn for our segment "Urban Word of the Day" on the Anne and Alice Show. Can you use your tution as a tax write off? Think of it as a business expense.

Tobi said...

way to go Alice! I am so "uber" proud of you!!!! Roll deep 'yo and show IUSB who da boss! :) Just getting ya started on slang talk 101! :)

Anonymous said...

You've got teaching in your blood! You would be a great teacher! (Or Children's Librarian (: - less homework grading)