Wednesday, July 14, 2010

GET SOME NEW STUFF, PEOPLE!!!

Where do I begin? So everyday I check one of my favorite bloggers to see what she is up to. She used to post almost every day but now, much to my dismay, whenever I check there is no new post! So, I checked the date of her last post to see if indeed it has been as long as I think it has been since reading anything new from her and it was July 6th. So, I checked the date of my last post...June 23! Ahhhh!! What has been wrong with me? And do I have anyone who calls me their favorite blogger? I know my mom and dear friend Anne harass me when I don't post frequently enough but that's like your mom telling you how pretty you are. Though as a mother when I tell my girls how pretty they are, they REALLY ARE! And, let me say to you Anne, and you mom...I adore you both!

So...I just got home from my History class. 3 hours and 20 minutes of history. Now, I actually like history and I find the 2 World Wars fascinating. I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of WWII and am very interested in learning more about WWI. Well, today my professor managed to suck the life and energy out of a room of about 25 people, most of whom are between the ages of 18 and 20. And worst, he managed to (hopefully just for the day) suck the enthusiasm for history right out of me. For over an hour we were subject to a 20 year old film on New Zealands part in WWI. I was thinking to myself the whole time "really, I can't just read about this?" The film was so old you can't hardly understand it anyway and if the sound was any louder you may have been able to hear it for yourselves from the comfort of your home. So, I was sure that it was the worst movie I had ever seen on any war. I was wrong.

The next film needed an explanation from the professor about it's poor quality. Apparently it had been copied from a copied copy copied from a copy. When this film started I kid you not I thought I was going to have an epileptic seizure! The image was nothing but flashing white flashes. Occasionally you would see these flickering black images that you could very infrequently make out to be a person or a horse. Had you been able to understand what the narrator was saying I may have been able to tell you what the images were!!! Really, I got to thinking, there is a lot of good quality stuff out there to use to teach about (fill in the blank) so why...WHY would you use something you can't even see????? And, after taking a head count of how many people were sleeping and how many had escaped, I figured out the answer. This poor man has been teaching this same class for at least 20 years. I know this because I took this class 18 years ago. Anyway, if he incorporated anything new, he himself would have to make up new tests!! That has got to be it. Well, I am outraged! History is fascinating. Don't kill it for people who haven't yet figured out how fascinating it is! Just get a new film!!!!! I'll even write the test for you!
BTW, after I get an A in this class I'm going to check out that horrid film from the library and post a few moments of it here so you can see of what I speak.

5 comments:

Michelle Burry said...

Oh, Alice, I'm so sorry! But, at least it didn't have the "f" word in it! ;)

Michelle said...

Yes my dear, I just so happen to call you one of my "favorite bloggers!" Your posts make me smile and I can relate to what you write about so often. Thank you for sharing your life's journey with all us, with me! :)

Anonymous said...

Better yet: check it out and LOSE IT! It may cost you a little $ but just think of future generations you will spare!

JUST KIDDING!

It's about time you posted again! And you really ARE pretty!

Love - Mom :D

AnneW said...

Ahhh...That's better!

Hi, I'm Jenny said...

A.L.I.C.E. How did I miss this post? You are too much. But I love ya!! I just got home from Seabrook Island and I've got lots of pictures to share so stay tuned. I tried to return your email but my reply got stuck on my new phone. :) I hate that I've let so much time pass but I'll make up for it. Promise.

I miss you!!