Saturday, August 21, 2010

Free At Last!!

So, the last time I posted I was getting ready to take my final in History class. Let me tell you how that turned out!
First of all, at the beginning of the semester our professor passed out a study guide that had roughly 80 topic points on it. It was very detailed in what we were to be studying. After about the 40th point we had our midterm. Basically it was all WWI. I got an A. So from the midterm on every study point was about Japan, China, and WWII. So I spent three weeks memorizing Japanese history from 1870-1945 and the detailed facts of the beginnings of and the results of WWII. So, Monday afternoon we all walk into class and he puts on the board our 3 choices for essay:
1)Russian History 1880's on
2)German History 1870-1945
3)The causes of WWI
Some classmates behind me said "Um, you have up there WWI" to which he said "yes! WWI!" And they said "but it says ONE! WW ONE!!" You see, he's Russian and quite difficult to understand so we figured we were having a communication breakdown. A 411 911 if you will. So, I raise my hand and say "So what your saying is that we really didn't even need to come to class at all the last 3 weeks??!!"
Sidebar: I know what many of you are thinking. Alice, don't you have the desire to learn about these events anyway? And my answer to that is, YES! Which is why I read about WWII constantly. To go and sit for 6 1/2 hours every week and watch 30 year old films is NOT learning.
OK, so I picked essay question #2 since I pretty much have WWII down pat. However I could not for the life of me locate in my brain any info on Germany prior to 1917.
So, After class I walked out completely deflated. Out in the hallway a poor girl from my class was crying! She started yelling at me "Can you believe that c**p!!" Oy!
So, I have been waiting...waiting...finally they posted our grades on line. Alice gets a B+!! Thank you Lord! Not the A I was hoping to get out of one of my favorite subjects but this class has been a nightmare and I am so happy with my grade!! And next semester is going to be a blast! Math (blah), Intro to Scientific Inquiry and...wait for it...Children's Literature! Yes! My specialty. I'm serious.
Let's see, 2 semesters this summer with two Russian professors. Is IUSB trying to prove something? Anyone taking bets on this coming up semester?

1 comment:

Overdrive HELP! said...

So excited for you. Can't wait to hear about your children's literature class. I bet you are a natural for this, but if you need any help - please ask. This is my life! (: Margaret - cousin