Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Great Day!

Well, the Merrill family had a beautiful beginning to our day. We were invited by our dear friends, the Wierenga's, to watch their daughter be baptized...Funny Story Tangent: So we get to the little beach where Grace was to be baptized and I'm telling you the "beachfront" was maybe 30 feet long and 10 feet deep. Basically, if you sneezed while driving past you would completely miss it. It was really the most lovely spot for such a sweet girl's baptism. So, we all get there, 2 sets of grandparents next door neighbors, us...all in all about 17 people. We barely fit on the beach. But, and here's the funny part...there was a lady with her dog and they were both sitting in the water in the only logical spot for this baptism (there weren't a lot of options). And they were just enjoying themselves. Just a-sittin. and a-splashin. and a-sittin. So, we're all standing there politely waiting and wondering about the proper protocol for such an event. Hee hee, it was sure funny. In the end we just waited and she and Rusty eventually got out.

Anyway, after the LOVELY ceremony, we enjoyed a lovely lunch at the Wierenga home. And then! Dear Anne, offered to keep OUR girls over night! And do you know, Mark and I let them stay! That poor woman has 7 children in her house right now! From 14 months to 13 years old! And 5 are GIRLS!!! Oh, my dear sweet INSANE friend.

So, Mark and I went to order our new mattress during our free time today. I think I had previously told Merkle that the new king sized mattress we were indulging in shouldn't cost more than about $1000. Now remember, we have had the same bed for more than 14 years! And it was bought off the back of a semi, for $300!So, we were "in the market."

(SIDEBAR!!! AND PLEASE NO "SHE GONNA BE MY BABY DADDY BABY'S TEACHA???" COMMENTS AFTER I POSE THIS QUESTION TO YOU.....Does punctuation go inside or outside quotation marks? Email me...)

Anyway so we went to get our new mattress. Anyone want to guess how much?? Too much to put in print.

Then, as if we hadn't just blown all our cash, we decide to go out for dinner and a movie because that's what you do when you don't have kids, right? Yeah, so we saw...dun duh da dun! Captain America!!! Yeah!! It was great! Awesome flicka! Two thumbs up. I cried. And sang the national anthem. In my head, people! I was with Merkle, not my mom.

Ahhh, what a lovely day! BUT WAIT till I tell you what I'm gonna do tomorrow!!!!!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I always put the punctuation inside the quotation marks. Whether or not this is correct I do not know. But it is what I've always done. Can't pinpoint if I was taught this or just by happenstance. Now I am on a search to discover the correct method. I hope you have another wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the Wierengas!! And especially to little Grace!!

AnneW said...

The day was even more special because our friends shared it with us. ("Thank you Merrills!")

Michelle Burry said...

Congratulations to Grace Wierenga!

It must have been the weekend for mattress shopping - my parents bought a new one, too.

(punctuation goes inside the quotation marks ;)

Miss you, Alice Carol Merrill!! :(