Thursday, July 9, 2009

Is it possible

to have too much fun? According to Emily the answer is...yes. So all this week she has been at Granger Community Church for Springhill Day Camp. This girl has rock climbed, tie dyed, swam, been flung through the air...she's played paintball, been to the wave pool, crafted stuff, and played some crazy games (skittle skattle battle just to name one). And last night, because it was dollar rides at the 4H fair and she and her sister had projects in, which meant free admission, we decided to go. So, after picking Emily up from 7 hours at camp we grabbed Grandma and Grandpa and cousin Ben (Daddy was in Chicago at a Cubs game) and took off.

So the first thing my girls want to do is the Ferris wheel. Ok. Now, if you don't know me let me first tell you that in my extensive and well organized list of fears my fear numero uno is flying. Followed very closely by #2...heights. I can't even look at a tall building or worse yet a high ceiling without getting vertigo. However, I knew I could not send the girls up with my dad. That's right, my dad. I love him so very much and believe he truly is the best and funnest grandpa on the planet BUT...I remember years of fair rides and elevator rides and boat ride and my dad jumping and shaking and rocking and let me tell you...FREAKED ME OUT!! So I decided I couldn't risk freaking the girlies out too bad so I decided to go up with them. Oh My Goodness, it was terrifying!! When we got to the top and had to stop so they could load people in at the bottom, I was clinging to the center pole and wondering what exactly it will look like when I finally crack. Will I jump? Hurl my backpack over the edge? Stand up and scream in terror? I just didn't know. So I decided to redirect my thoughts. I got out my cell phone and desperately dialed my husband. No answer. So I call Anne. Not home. Oh God help me!! All the while I'm having this inner turmoil, I was cool as a clam on the outside. Telling the girls how beautiful it was from up there...oh look at the pretty trees! Oh look at the little tiny cars...GET ME OFF THIS THING!!!!! And finally it started to come back down. I don't really remember the rest of the ride, just the chest pains that followed. Fun night for mommy...

The rest of the night was pretty much the same, me getting completely freaked out watching my dear beloved nephew being locked into a cage and spun in horrendous upside down circles on the Ring of Death...I mean Ring of Fire ride. Then having to go on the Crazy Mouse roller coaster with Emily. Ok, that wasn't as bad as the Ferris wheel but I was sure it too would result in my death.

Funny story here...earlier in the evening my mom was waiting in line with the girls to ride on the Crazy Mouse (CM). She was only supposed to be in line with them while my dad went with Ben to ride the death rides then he was going to come back and take the girls on CM. Well, her line went a little too fast and so by the time I ran over to get my dad and got back my poor mom was being strapped in. Oh dear. My sweet, kind mama being crank crank cranked up that steep hill and then swooshhhh down that steep hill. Oh dear. Well, she did really well. And, it wasn't me (just kidding mom). hee hee.
Ok, I could probably write about the terrifying events that fueled my children's joy last night for another 10 paragraphs but I'm getting a nervous tick so I'm going to sign off...
good times...good. times.

2 comments:

cgpluta said...

Alice! I love your blog! And I completely sympathize with your near-death experience at the fair! The closest I've come to a panic attack was the first time I was on a Ferris Wheel with Ben (at about age 4). All I could think of was how insane I must have been to think of bringing my sweet, precious baby onto this rattling, swaying death trap! And, for that matter, why is that bolt so rusty??? And, honestly, does it make sense to entrust yours and your child's life to someone who clearly cannot care for his own teeth??? (Like you, I was the picture of calm on the outside - all the while sweating, heart pounding, feeling like I would throw up.)

Last weekend, I took Sam on the Ferris Wheel at the Cherry Festival... We stopped at the top and then he said - "I want down. I want down NOW. I WANT TO GET DOWN!!!" I had to flag the guy down when we got to the bottom and have him let us off. I admit I was rather relieved.

AnneW said...

Oh how I wish you would have called me at work! what a night it was. I could have distracted you with stories of all the CRAZY people that were there,including the old man who asked if I would email him dirty pictures of myself. Yep, you read that right. OUTRAGED! Glad you survived your night of terror. I would have told you to pop a pill. :)