Sunday, July 12, 2009

Little Bitties

OK, it is possible that this feeling will be a distant memory by the time I wake up tomorrow but right now I have to say, I am beginning to wonder if my days of teaching Sunday School are done. Those kids kicked my butt today! Now, I will say it was a really large class, I had no adult helper, and the story was REALLY long. But I just didn't have a handle on them. They were out of control. Boys were beating each other up, new girl screamed a lot at the other kids, had a kid that cried quite a bit when he did not gt his way, had kids up in my face and pulling at my leg and tugging on my shirt and calling out my name and I just don't know how much longer I can take it all. The craziest part was at the end. I had them all, most of them, alright maybe 1/3 of them sitting on the blue rug to answer questions about our story. Here is a small sampling of how it went...

Me: "OK, the name of the prophet in our story today was Elijah and do you remember the mean King Ahab? OK, who can tell me...what was the prophets name?"

Them: "Stone and wood!!"

Me: "What, no...not stone and wood. Remember, the prophets name was Elijah...(pause)...OK, what was the prophets name?"

Them (louder): "STONE AND WOOD!!!"

Me: "OK, no, stone and wood is not someones name. OK, how about the king? Remember the mean King AHAB? Remember King AHAB? Ohhhh, he was so mean...(pause)...OK, what was the kings name?"

Them: simultaneously "King Darian" "Am I going to get in trouble with my mommy?" "oh, he has an elephant" "I never get a turn" "I have a dog"

Me: "Oh dear, OK, everyone who is sitting and not making any sounds gets a cookie!!"

Them: silence

How much longer can I do this? I do love those little bitties. When there aren't so many of them...

2 comments:

AnneW said...

Maybe there was something in the air because we had a large crowd and they too were out of control. I think we had at least 6 adults in the room and it ws near impossible to teach.

cgpluta said...

I remember those mornings at storytime... Some days you just have to skip to the cookie!