Sunday, April 11, 2010

Our Easter

So...I realize it's been a while. Again. Easter kept us pretty busy. Excuses excuses I know.
But seriously, on Easter Eve, Grace and I started making the most deliciously fully packed with butter and sugar cinnamon rolls you've EVER had from our favorite wife of a cowboy:
Pioneer Woman. We started the process at 4 p.m. and they were finally done at 10. I am so not kidding. Between adding flour and letting the rolls rise we painted eggs with Emily and her friend Leah and made an egg omelet for breakfast at church the next morning.
Then Easter morning Merkle woke me at 5 so we could see if the Easter Bunny came and then get to church by 7:30 for Sonrise Service. Directly after that we went to Grandma and Grandpa Merrill's for some yummy KFC. Then home to clean the house, cook, stuff eggs for the hunt, and then my side of the fam over that evening.
...
Funny story sidebar. Fair warning...it isn't actually a funny story at all.
So we live in a rather duck filled neighborhood. Great place to raise kids, great place to raise ducks.
So the girls and Lucky and I love to walk around our block and about a week before Easter I was walking Lucky alone when a mama duck flew off her nest from under a bush, almost directly into my face (though witnesses might claim a different story entirely). The duck, probably a teenage mother, thought it wise to set up house under a bush 6 inches from the edge of the sidewalk.
Ok, so everyday we walk by and mama duck flies away leaving her nest completely exposed to us. 10 lovely little greenish eggs.
So Easter Evening after a lovely dinner with my favorite people on Earth we decide to walk down to the corner to show everyone the nest. So along with Grandma and Grandpa, cousins and Aunt and Uncle we stroll down and behold...about 6 of the eggs cracked open and emptied out all over the sidewalk. It was tragic. An Easter tragedy. An Easter egg ducky tragedy. There were no ducky remains, just shells. Just sad empty shells.
I told you it wasn't a funny story.

No comments: