Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Hey Chicago, Whaddaya Say? Cubs Are Gonna Win TODAY!!

Chicago Trip Installment 1:

So we had a great 2 days in Chicago.
On Sunday we took our girls to their very first ever Cubs game. We got there about 2 hours before the game started and found this guy standing on a corner a block from Wrigley Field with a tiny parking sign in his hand. $30 to park, so we follow him to this back ally behind this row of townhouses and park our car right under the sign that reads : "PRIVATE PARKING. TOWED AT OWNERS EXPENSE." I instantly lost all street smarts I may have thought that I previously possessed and asked the guy how we could know if he was legit and wasn't just stickin' us in someones personal parking spot while they're running to the grocery store. I mean this guy parked 6 cars at $30 a piece and could vanish in the time it would take for the actual owner to just begin his navigation through Cubs fans on his way to get some toilet paper.
Well, anyway, luckily my weak little unintended-but-turned-out-to-be-an-insult didn't result in the guy vandalizing our car just to get me back.

Okay, so we get into the park and begin our assent to our seats. Section 514 Row 9. Yeah, guess where that is. THE VERY TOP ROW OF WRIGLEY FIELD!!! Our backs were up against the fence that holds the whole stadium together. You know which seats I'm talking about. The ones where if you trip over one step you'll fling yourself over the 2 balconies below you and out into center field. The ones where you're in a whole different climate from the lucky saps sitting behind the dugouts. Okay, I will say this though. I did find comfort in the fact that we were so high up there was virtually no chance I could be killed by a foul ball flying at my head at 125 MPH. And after I popped a Xanax I really didn't care about any of that anyway. You can see how much Grace loved our seats. Poor kid was as freaked out as I was (pre-medication):



And guess what?? We got a couple balls autographed by (one of) Merkles heros, Ron Santo. AND...the girls got to run the bases at the end of the game!






So after all that excitement we went to Ed Debevics for some mistreatment and bad food but...hey, you can't beat a good counter dance:

1 comment:

Michelle Burry said...

Glad you had a good time, Alice! (A little Xanax goes a lloonngg way! ;)