Monday, August 3, 2009

Camp

Oh dear...so I just spent my first night at camp. And yes I'm sure this whole story will have some of my friends rolling their eyes as they read but...I don't care. Humphffff to you!

Emily has been going through quite a phase lately. Really nervous, anxious about everything. She has had a hard time lately being away from me. She has this fear that she's going to get sick and throw up in front of someone. The poor child is tormented. But, I feel fairly confident that this is just a phase and that life will return to it's normal rhythm very soon. Until the next phase hits but hey, let me take this one psychosomatic day at a time.

Ok, so yesterday (Sunday) was supposed to be her first time getting to go to camp to spend the night. Now, months ago when we first brought this up to her she decided she'd go but wanted to take a friend. Fine. So about a month ago this new phase is all settled in and I happened to mention camp and she totally freaked. Complete terror. Will not go. So, I make a mental note not to bring that up again. Well, sure enough time ticked on like it has a way of doing and all of the sudden Mark and I are laying in bed Saturday night trying to figure out what to do. And the best we could come up with is that Sunday morning I would ask Kelly, a lovely and kind girl at our church who also works at the camp, if maybe I could come up with Emily and could they just put me up in a cabin somewhere. Kelly says that's fine so Sunday night Emily and Madison and Mom head to camp.

Now, I won't go into the details of the stay. I survived. Emily survived. I was given a lovely air conditioned room and was treated very kindly by many people. But I think I'll just leave that part of the story at that.

But I do want to share the highlight of our adventure together. During swim time Emily was on the deck wrapping her massive beach towel around her head, trying to look like me when I get out of the shower. She was laughing and looking adorable and wanted to look in the mirror so I pointed out the bathroom so she could have a look. A few minutes later she came out with a look of horror on her face. "Mommy, the sink fell off the wall!!!!" Now, I'm sure you can imagine my look of "what!?" She leads me in and yep, the sink did indeed fall off the wall. I asked her if she had climbed up on it and (thank you God) she told me the truth. So I had to go get the dean and let her know. In the meantime Emily is about to melt. out. of. her. skin. That poor child. So after the dean took a very confused look at the sink hanging from the wall, I told Emily she needed to go up to her and tell her that she was the one who did it and that she was so sorry. And do you know that my poor, fearful, and frightened daughter walked right up to her and told her what she had done.

So, you know what!? Say what you want about my poor parenting decisions. Say what you want about "gee, Emily, fearful? Why, wherever does she get that from?" Say what you want about our decision to homeschool our girls, because I've heard about enough about that this weekend too. Say what you want but here is what mama bear has to say...I have one awesome daughter!

No comments: